VVOB is an international NGO with programmes and projects in 9 countries worldwide.
Our head office is in Brussels, Belgium. When you join VVOB, you become a key player in VVOB’s mission to ensure quality education as a key enabler for achieving the sustainable development goals. We implement our programmes and projects with one shared passion: to ensure the improvement of quality education. Our teams of national and international experts achieve this by providing technical assistance to governmental and other education actors. In doing so, worldwide we ensure capacity building of governmental and other education actors. Do you share our ambition to ensure that learners around the world can enjoy their fundamental human right to quality education, without exception? Are you convinced as well that quality education guarantees equal opportunities for everyone and is the key to a better world? We are looking for a Strategic Education Advisor, Partnerships, Positioning & Scaling who will operate from our office in Quito, Ecuador, to contribute to the delivery of VVOB’s ¡VAMOS! education solution and play an important role in developing and operationalising our partnership and donor engagement strategy for Ecuador. Do you want to take on this challenge? Then continue reading!
Purpose of the function
As Strategic Education Advisor, Partnerships, Positioning & Scaling, you contribute to the ambitions and values of VVOB by acting as the strategic and operational lead for scaling the ¡VAMOS! education solution and the accompanying continuous professional development (CPD) of school leaders, teacher leaders and teachers and by contributing to the development and formulation of new projects. You support the Country Programmes Manager (CPM) in developing and operationalising a Partnerships and Donor engagement strategy for VVOB in Ecuador to position VVOB nationally & regionally. The Strategic Education Advisor reports to the CPM and is part of the Strategy Department. You work closely together with the Strategic Advisor Research & MEAL and the Education Department in the Ecuador office. You also work closely together with the Global Strategic Education Advisor and the Global Strategic Partnerships Advisors at the VVOB head office.
VVOB in Ecuador
Ecuador is a pioneer country for VVOB’s Skilling for Sustainable Futures (SF2) Flagship, a multi-country programme that offers an evidence-backed, scalable solution to prepare youth in secondary education (general secondary + secondary technical and vocational education and training) with the technical, entrepreneurial and transferable skills they need to succeed in the world of work. Together with the Ministry of Education (MINEDUC) and partner universities, VVOB is implementing ¡VAMOS! – «Vinculando el Agro-aprendizaje para un Mundo Sostenible» – a five-year (2022-2026) Belgium-funded programme that will develop, test and pilot a first model of the SF2 approach, with a specific focus on preparing youth for work in green(ing) agriculture value chains. The focus is on the continuous professional development of teachers and school leaders in five provinces (Bolívar, Esmeraldas, Los Ríos, Manabí, and Pastaza). VVOB’s ambition for the coming years is to attract funding and forge partnerships for scaling ¡VAMOS!, seek opportunities for SF2 expansion in terms of focus economic sectors and take concrete steps towards starting operations in other education sub-sectors in VVOB’s portfolio.
In this position you will:
- Operationalise the global and country partnership strategy and give input to refine the country partnership strategy.
- Represent and promote VVOB as a reliable partner and maintain strong effective external relationships to secure cooperation and support from VVOB’s strategic, operational, funding and learning partners.
- Co-lead or support the development and formulation of new project and programme proposals, by bringing in expertise in the design of evidence-informed & evidence-generating education solutions, education systems thinking and scaling.
- Be actively involved in the implementation of running programmes / projects, by leading scaling processes and strategies and supporting the Education Department in building partnerships for co-implementation (e.g. with world of work actors, Ministry of Agriculture, …).
- Develop, implement, and follow up on capacity development strategies and methods; including to guarantee coherence with VVOB’s approach for sustainable capacity development and co-implementation.
- Facilitate and support timely implementation of programmes / projects and ensure an effective and efficient use of resources by being actively involved in planning, budgeting, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Contribute to the quality and coherence of running programmes / projects by acting as the sounding board and critical friend of the Education Department, promoting internal alignment and collaboration, and reviewing key knowledge products.
- Contribute to internal and external knowledge development and learning, by systemizing lessons learned from partnerships and synergies and pro-actively sharing lessons learned between partners, colleagues and other VVOB country teams.
Your expertise and experience
- A relevant master’s or doctoral degree in Education or related areas or equivalent through experience
- 2 years of international (working) experience:
- You obtained your master’s degree abroad, and/or
- You have working experience relevant to this vacancy abroad
- 5 years of experience in a position working closely with external stakeholders, preferably with multiple partners
- At least 3 years of relevant experience with capacity building of organisations, teams and people, preferably in strengthening government systems and structures
- Preferably experience in the education sector, managing or accompanying systems change, co-implementing with and scaling through government agencies and / or public sector staff • Preferably knowledgeable about gender issues (in education)
- Experience facilitating learning and knowledge sharing processes, establishing, and managing feedback systems to capture learning and fostering collaboration across different actors
- Spanish proficiency: CEFR level C1
- English proficiency: CEFR level C1
- Desirable: Knowledge of the agricultural Technical Secondary Education context in Ecuador
VVOB core competences:
• Cooperation • Continuous improvement • Result orientation
Function specific competencies:
• Strategic networking & partnership building • Persuasiveness • Creativity • Vision building • Problem analysis & judgement
What we’re offering:
- A full-time contract until 31/12/2026 with the possibility of extension depending on the availability of donor funding
- A dynamic working environment in an international context
- An exciting job in a growing organisation with varied responsibilities and opportunities for professional development
- An attractive salary & benefits package
Join us: As soon as possible!
Shortlisted candidates will take a written test, go through a development centre and interview process before a final offer.
VVOB firmly believes that quality education can only be achieved if equity is ensured. Qualities of people prevail, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or disability.
Is this not exactly the job you are looking for? Please have a look at our other vacancies at: https://www.vvob.org/en/vacancies